Darlington Raceway, nicknamed The Lady in Black and the track Too Tough to Tame, is home to the award-winning Official Throwback Weekend of NASCAR and annually hosts two NASCAR Cup Series race weekends, along with the NASCAR Xfinity Series and/or NASCAR CRAFTSMAN Truck Series. Opening in 1950, Darlington Raceway is “A NASCAR Tradition” and NASCAR’s original superspeedway with its famed 1.366-mile egg-shaped oval, challenging the sports best in one of the most iconic NASCAR races, the Southern 500®.
NASCAR seeks a talented professional to join the Darlington Raceway team in the position of Director, Business Operations based in our Darlington, South Carolina office.
The Director, Business Operations for Darlington Raceway provides a primary function of ensuring that strategic objectives are executed and stakeholders across the local team, region and broader company are held accountable to deliverables. This position reports to and serves as an extension of the Track President.
- Oversee community engagement strategy and plans in key markets, and support revenue goals.
- Lead the planning, management and execution of local promotions and grassroots activation initiatives throughout year to drive awareness and attendance for events held at the facility.
- Partner with marketing, communications, and content teams to deliver integrated marketing plans that drive business results.
- Build business cases and lead cross-team planning for all event planning.
- Develop and maintain event planning documents, collaborating with all regional and central functions while holding each accountable for delivering against business goals.
- Supervise employees. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, coaching, and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Collaborate with the Event Experience team to build out weekend fan experience content; assist the Event Experience team activating against these plans. This includes driver and team event promotion at in-market events or race weekend appearances.
- Coordinate cross-team communication on key projects and events.
- Oversee marketing plans for non-NASCAR events e.g., concerts, festivals, other events.
- Drive the business strategy for non-motorsports events, working with internal resources to identify opportunities for increased revenue generation.
- Lead new fan development strategies and plans in local markets through partnerships, community outreach and in-market activation.
- Partner with key department(s) to continue delivering actionable insights that inform positioning, messaging, targeting and measurement of plans in market.
- Inform, influence and advocate in the annual business planning process in support of both track and company priorities.
- Engage and build relationships with all levels within the regional team(s). Gain perspective on each employee’s role and how it supports the business.
- Other duties as assigned
- Travel: 15% including some weekends
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university, 5-7 years of marketing experience and/or training in sports, entertainment event marketing; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to write and prepare presentations for internal and external audiences. Effective at giving persuasive presentations on complex topics to senior management, industry audiences.
- Possess business acumen with ability to provide insights to internal and external stakeholders, including leadership.
- Proficient in Company-provided hardware and software, specifically Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment with extended hours during events.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Focused follow-through with a high-level of accountability for assigned tasks
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational and time management skills
- Aptitude for leading change in a complex industry; visionary and strategic-minded.
- Experience in maintaining and developing employees by interviewing, hiring, and training. Coaching, providing guidance & performance reviews, developing and/or disciplining employees, as necessary.
- Strong collaboration skills
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with Track Leadership, internal colleagues, external partners & industry stakeholders, influencers, public affairs contacts, and community & media relations outlets
- Ability to create, understand and implement both strategic and financial planning for the department
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, reach, use hands to feel and handle, ability to lift 20 pounds and see including close vision
- Must have a valid driver’s license
To apply for this job please visit nascar.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.